A focus (pl. foci) is a specially prepared object used by magical practitioners as a tool in performing acts of magic.
A focus does not in itself perform magic, and a practitioner does not necessarily need a focus in order to work magic, but it makes it easier for a practitioner to perform a spell. Foci are commonly used to assist with evocation magic, because of its "quick and dirty" nature.(reference needed)
It is a specialized tool applicable to a narrow scope of magic, such as ferromancy, pyromancy, or kinetomancy, although it is possible to make a general-purpose focus (White Council wizards' staves appear to be such). Although they appear in a variety of shapes, wands, rods, and staves are among the most common, as are items that can be worn such as jewelry. None of the novels suggest that there is any relationship between a focus's form and its function.(reference needed)
The cost of manufacturing a focus is not insignificant, with it sometimes taking weeks to manufacture one, and most of the required materials are expensive.(reference needed)
List of fociEdit
- Staff: A general-use focus commonly used by White Council wizards.
- Blasting rod: A thumb-thick length of ashwood Harry Dresden uses as an aid to pyromancy.
- Shield bracelet: A silver charm bracelet Dresden uses to produce defensive force-fields.
- Cane sword : Dresden uses it to manipulate magnetism.
- Kinetic rings: Finger rings made from braided silver wire which absorb energy from the motion of Dresden's body. The stored energy can be released as a wave of concussive force similar to Dresden's "Forzare" spell.
- Gauntlet: Carlos Ramirez uses it to shoot "entropic energy" to shoot disintegration rays.
- Elaine Mallory's thorn wand: A thorn-like wand that she uses to cast a lightning spell.